- Courtney attended Ann Arbor Institute of Massage Therapy located in Ann Arbor, MI. Graduating from there in the spring of 2005, she has been practicing massage since. While in school Courtney studied techniques such as Swedish, trigger point, myofacial, neuromuscular, reflexology, sports massage, as well as relaxation and deep tissue hot stone massage. She enjoys and specializes in deep tissue work, and states, “Getting into the muscles to help relieve pain and work with the client for a long term solution is what I truly enjoy. Massage is not just a job or even a career, it’s what grounds and balances me. It’s a pure, basic, and necessary way to impart positive and healthy thoughts on others without saying a word”. While not at work Courtney enjoys being out doors, riding her bike, gardening, cooking, and most of all being a mom! Courtney Has been a massage therapist since 2005 and has been with essential since September 2009.
- Coming Soon!
- Coming Soon!
- After graduating from Michigan State University in 2000 with a BA in Advertising, Holly decided to move to Colorado. During her first year in Colorado she realized the corporate world was not for her and decided to look elsewhere. Having been an athlete since a small child, her fascination with the human body led her to discover massage at Boulder College of Massage Therapy. After completing the 1,000 hour certification program she began her career in massage and hasn’t looked back to advertising since! Holly loves working with Massage “Newbies”. Her integrative approach of therapeutic massage with relaxation leaves these first timers wanting to come back for more. While capable of doing deep work, Holly believes that massage shouldn’t have to “hurt” to “work.” “Massage is a way for people to become reconnected with their bodies and learn to feel their muscles and appreciate the strength of their bodies.” Holly made the move back home to Michigan in 2010 and has been with Essential Massage since October 2010. She spends her free time with her dogs, the occasional Triathlon and laughing with friends and family. Read more about Holly in our Spotlight section.
- Lauren graduated from Irene’s Myomassology Institute in February 2011 and became certified by the NCBTMB in November 2011. She has been working as a massage therapist since August 2011. During amssage school she studied spa treatments, elder massage, myofascial release, Reiki, Shiatsu and Thai Yurvedic. She specializes in Swedish, Deep Tissue, Reflexology and Prenatal massage. She studied Psychology, Art and Business at Oakland Community College from 2007-2009 and then spent a year working full time trying to figure out what she really wanted to do. Then one day she decided to join her friend on a tour of Irene’s and instantly realized this was her calling. She enrolled that very day and has been enjoying the benefits ever since. She is very interested in and also studied Nutrition, Herbology and Aromatherapy at Irene’s. She plans to continue college and further her education in Nutrition, Herbology and also Botony. Lauren has been a massage therapist since 2011 and has been with Essential Massage since October 2013.
- Lisa Boyd began her life’s work while working for a chiropractor in high school. The hands on experience, interaction with patients, and knowledge about body structure was key in becoming the therapist she is today. In September 2003 after graduating from FSTM, Lisa opened Essential Massage Therapy. Lisa enjoys doing deep tissue and prenatal massage most, but also finds balance working with clients who may be looking for something more intuitive. She has continued her education at Irene’s School of Myomassology in Southfield, MI, with courses in prenatal and labor massage and studied with the Upledger Institute for craniosacral. Her continued education has also taken her to North Carolina where she learned fertility massage from Claire Marie Miller. In July 2010, with several other therapists at EMT, she took courses for Ashiatsu Oriental Bar Therapy and is looking forward to providing this modality to her clients. She is committed to providing clients with special care and consideration in order to meet every person’s individual needs. Lisa is passionate about massage and looks forward to coming to work everyday. She enjoys teaching others about muscle mechanics, and how small changes in their lifestyle can prevent aches and pains. When not enjoying her time at work, Lisa’s other favorite place to be is home with her family. She has two sons and a dog, Molly with her husband, Nathan. She enjoys doing anything active outdoors, but is happiest on the water.
- Lucas became a certified massage therapist December 30th, 2005. He has since completed and advanced medical massage course and a graduate study program throught the Flint School of Therapeutic Massage. He has a certification worth 1700 hours. Lucas specializes in I.N.I.T. as well as Myofascial Release, Active Movement Massage and Positional Release. Lucas has been a massage therapist since 2005 and has been with Essential Massage since June 2008. Read more about Lucas in our Spotlight section.
- Coming Soon!
- Micka completed a 650 hour therapeutic and medical massage program from Michigan School of Myomassology in Berkley Michigan in 2005. Among the required core classes Micka completed electives in Myofascial Release, Medical Massage, Aromatherapy, Lymphatic Drainage, Clinical Approaches to Headaches and Low Back Syndrome, Trigger Point, PNF, Hot Stone Therapy, Lomi-Lomi, Thai, and Reflexology. Upon graduation, Micka became nationally certified through the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork. She gained work experience from a variety of settings including Aveda Spas and a Chiropractic care center. A typical massage, unless requested otherwise, with Micka will generally incorporate a few modalities listed from above to achieve an over-all state of well being and deep relaxation with a therapeutic touch. In her free time Micka enjoys traveling, live music, and spending time outdoors. Micka recently completed her Associates in Science and plans to continue her education in a Masters of Occupational Therapy program. Micka has been with Essential Massage since February 2012.
- Sally completed her training in January 2005 at Michigan School of Myomassology. She has certificates in hot stone, reflexology, myofascial release, clinical approaches to carpal tunnel and thoracic outlet, as well as clinical approaches to headaches. She has a knack for deep tissue and sports massage. Deeper pressure and stretches are great for athletes pre or post an event. It is also great for stiff muscles, tightness, stress relief, relaxation, etc. Sally is also certified in Swedish massage, an d feels relaxation massage is something that everyone deserves. She loves what she does and enjoys helping people with the stress of everyday life. Sally has been a massage therapist for 6 years and has been with Essential Massage since February 2009.
- Sara B.
In 2002, a well-timed fortune cookie told Sara to follow an impulse, and the next day she enrolled at the Michigan School of Myomassology. Sara spent her undergraduate years honing her “gentle-deep” style of massage around Ann Arbor, while studying cross-cultural health in an interdisciplinary social science program at the University of Michigan.
After completing her B.A., Sara enrolled in Beaumont’s Clinical Oncology Massage program where she learned specific techniques to help cancer patients rest, heal, and recover from chemotherapy, radiation, and mastectomy surgery. While employed at Beaumont, Sara worked in spinal rehabilitation, oncology, hospice and pediatric hospice. In 2008, curious about the use of massage therapy to help ease the process of labor and delivery, Sara trained as a doula in Ann Arbor and began attending births. Sara’s massage style is flexible and draws from her broad training and experience incorporating massage at some of life’s most unpredictable and exciting moments.
Sara came to work at Essential in 2009, and in 2011 began an intensive training in Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine in Columbus, OH. After completing 1500 hours of classroom training and 1000 hours of internship at a high volume clinic, Sara sat for the NCCAOM board exams and in 2015 became a Diplomate of Acupuncture. Sara has given over 900 acupuncture treatments and particularly loves having a new tool to address chronic pain and many internal maladies.
Read more about Sara B. in our Spotlight section.